Saturday, May 31, 2014

differences

 don't want my co-workers just to like me when I add an air of conviviality to meetings. I want them to respect my
culture, albeit that it is different than theirs. Calmly explaining who I am and from where I come and why my dietary practices are my choice, and that "Kosher" doesn't mean the Rabbi is standing over each piece of food is blessing it, is not satisfying enough to them. I don't want to be the person in a faculty of 10 who is futile in convincing 80% of them that ...Felix Mendelsohn would not be included in a category of Jewish composers when his family converted to Christianity when he was 7. Yes, his grandfather was a recognized German Jewish philosopher, (quite interesting in fact), but Moses Mendelsohn does not have 1 Jewish heir.
I want them to respect me as someone whose insights into the way children learn sometimes being the voice of children hostile to education or not school ready because they are not yet stable may be different to their thoughts, yet be comfortable enough to express it without looking at rolling eyes or change of subject. Ergo,now I understand that all people should be recognized for their differences in culture, race, sexual preferences, ethnicity and more. Finally, there is no right or wrong when it comes to feelings. They come from within us and should be validated.

No comments:

Post a Comment